Friday, May 06, 2011

Effortless or Effort Filled

I am perplexed by the increased effort that long form blogging (as I like to call it) seems to generate these days. It seems that I, or others, have become accustomed to quick little instantaneous updates on people's lives, and may have lost the patience for composing or recounting additional details. Clearly this is a casualty of the Twitter era, and it is an unfortunate one.

Even on this blog, which I hadn't realized that I had treated with a level of depth and precision, it is evident that I used detail and emphasis in the past. In fact, I was surprised by the level of detail, especially with my first Cross Country trip in 2006. It suddenly came back to me that this blog had been a chronicle of that experience. Interesting how I had forgotten that.

In the present day, I want to continue to re-engage with this blog. I found that some of my most engaging posts appeared when I wrote about something in the present tense, as if it was happening while I was writing it, and you were reading it. I want to keep that in mind for future chronicles, especially when I travel to the Mojave Desert one week from today.

What could appear from recent events (within this past week) that is worth chronicling. Let me look at my calendar... Oh, yes, now I remember.

In San Francisco, I generally keep a fairly tight routine centered around my school in the SOMA district of the City. On Wednesday, I varied that up a bit, visiting the offices of Theatre Bay Area (TBA), where I worked in a long-term internship two years ago. Since my stint there, TBA has moved to another office just two blocks from my school. I don't visit them extremely often, but I am struck by the "parallel worlds" when I do go there. It's fascinating that my two (dual?) worlds in the city are so close together, and yet far apart. I can always feel the noticeable transition when I do that walk up or down Mission Street.

No comments: